Since my roots are Goan and I am a vegetarian by choice, have decided to share a traditional Goan vegetarian breakfast recipe. It is an all time favourite in my family. Though I have mastered the art of making Tandlyachi Bhakri, I have still not managed to reach the same level as my mom, who makes the yummiest Tandlyachi Bhakri and her bhakri has always been a favourite with my friends. Though the name sounds very boring, it is one of the yummiest breakfast items and you should give it a try. Since all the masala is added in the bhakri it has to be had stand alone with a steaming cup of tea
3 cups Rice flour
1 1/2 cup chopped onions
3-4 chopped green chillies
1 cup freshly grated coconut
- In a wide bowl, take rice flour, salt, onion, green chillies and fresly grated coconut.
- Mix well. Add water and knead it well. It should neither be very hard nor loose.
- Meanwhile heat a tava.
- Pour half table spoon of oil and add a tsp of mustard seeds
- Once it splutters, take a ball of the kneaded ata and place it on tava.
- Press it from all sides so as to form a medium thickness roti.
- For those not comfortable with doing it on hot tava, you can take a plastic, smear some water on it and press the aata on it. Once you achieve the desired thickness, then place it on the tava gently.
- Once it gets golden brown, you can flip the side and drizzle some more oil on all sides.
- Remove it from the tava and serve hot with tea