This is a spicy Fish curry from Goa, made from whole spices. One can use any big fish like Indian Salmon or Seer Fish or Pomfret. It can be served with either Chapati or rice but Goans prefer to have it with rice along with fish fry, sol kadi and a veggie.
750 gms Seer fish or other fish of your choice cleaned and sliced
1 freshly grated coconut ( you can use dessicated coconut too, but the taste may vary)
2 medium sized onions finely chopped
4 tbsp coriander seeds / dhaniya
1 tsp turmeric powder / haldi
8 whole red chillies ( reduce the amount if you dont want it spicy)
2 tsp black pepper seeds
1 lemon sized ball of tamarind
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
finely chopped coriander leaves
- Marinate the fish with turmeric, ginger garlic paste and a pinch of salt for 15 mnts.
- Grind the coconut, coriander seeds, red chillies, pepper and tamarind to form a thick paste
- Heat oil in a wok
- Once it is heated, add chopped onions.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the ground masala.
- Add some water to get medium consistency gravy, salt and let it boil.
- Once it starts boiling, gently add the pieces of fish. Cook for few minutes till the fish changes colour and then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot rice or chapatis.