My husband and and I are big fans of Eggplants/ Brinjal/Aubergines/Vanga/Baingan and all its forms. We relish the Baingan bharta as much as we love the Vangyachi Kapa (shallow fried brinjal) or Bharleli vangi (Stuffed eggplants). We prepare stuffed eggplants in two forms, one is my Moms recipe from Goa which is coconut based, and the other is a Maharashtrian recipe which I got from my ex-colleague. Both the recipes are medium spicy. They are both equally delicious, but I end up making my ex-colleagues’ recipe more often as the ingredients are readily available. Also, I get quite bored of grating frest coconut the traditional way and I dont know any other way 😔. In India, we do get fresly grated coconut at super markets but twice I ended up picking spoilt grated coconut from a renowned supermarket in Powai. It was spoilt inspite of it not passing its expiry day!! Since then, I have been apprehensive of buying grated coconut…
9 medium sized baby eggplants
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup roasted and coarsely ground peanut powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin seed powder
1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp garam masala powder
finely chopped coriander leaves
water if you need a gravy
- First wash the baby eggplants.
- Then cut its crown.
- Make 2 slits in the eggplants.
- Cut it from top till little above bottom without separating the quarters.
- Immerse it in clean water till you get other ingredients ready. This step prevents the blackening of the slit eggplants.
- In a bowl, mix chopped onions, peanut powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt. Mx well.
- Stuff this mixture well in the eggplants. If any mixture is left, reserve it to add once the eggplants are cooked.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Its essential to use non stick if you are making the veggie dry
- once the oil is heated, gently add the eggplants and cover and cook.
- Occasionally, stir it. If you want to make a gravy add water at this stage.
- Once the eggplants are done and they change colour, add the remaining stuffing. Cook for few minuts and switch off the heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with Chapati or Rice and Dal