Cottage cheese or Paneer is one of he most sought after item in Indian kitchen. It can be easily made at home but it does take some effort. Though, I have made paneer at home when the milk has curdled, its not very often as it is readily available in the Indian sub -continent. Besides, paneer made with 1 litre milk will not suffice the three of us as we all love it 🙂
Paneer is a good source of calcium and protein, especially for vegetarians like me… It can be turned into Palak paneer (spinach and cottage cheese side dish), paneer makhani, kadai paneer, schezwan cabbage cottage cheese or made into paneer burji for main course. It can be added in rice, to make paneer biryani or it can be had as tandoori paneer, paneer kebab , paneer pudina for starter. It can also be made in to sandwich or wraps… possibilities are numerous…
Today’s recipe is kid-friendly and easy. I have turned it into a sandwich, as I had to consume the bread today, but one can make a wrap or a frankie out of it using healthier chapatis, rotis or Paranthas made from whole wheat flour. One can also use it with tortillas
11/2 cup yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (optional)
1 tbsp Kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) optional
250 gms cubed paneer or cottage cheese
Any Tandoori masala ( my personal favourite is Hakim)
6 Bread slices
Butter or olive oil
Any salad like cucumber, tomato or lettuce… i have used sliced tomatoes..
- Take Yogurt in a bowl. Add lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, kasoori methi and tandoori masala.
- Mix well. Add cubed paneer and mix it gently, so as to coat the paneer pieces well without breaking.
- Let it marinate for 30 minutes.
- Either shallow fry in a pan or grill or bake in the oven. I baked it in oven at 180 C for 30 minutes. Use a greased pan for baking.
- Butter the bread only on one side.
- Place sliced tomato on the non -buttered side. Add the grilled tandoori paneer. Cover it with another slice of bread and grill it in a griller or OTG. I used the OTG and it took me 10 minutes at 200 c
- Serve hot with ketchup.