My baking exploration first started with cakes, then moved to breads and then to cookies. Over a period of time, I got confident of my baking skills. Not to say there were not any flops, especially when experimenting with healthier substitutes like whole wheat. But my husband loved the flops too 🙂
My son has store bought biscuits with his evening milk. So I felt it was time I started making his evening snack at home as I would have control over the ingredients that go in and its quality. I try to steer clear of additives as much as possible, be it the food colour or preservatives. Also, I like to use pure stuff like vanilla extract or home made white butter; the attempt is to reduce the synthetic stuff as much as possible. So my first attempt was these chocolate chip cookies. They were just heavenly. Mind you, they are not at all healthy (indulgence is allowed once in a while 🙂), so they are always baked with strict instructions to the family…not more than one a day 🙂. I also avoid using parchment paper and if at all I do, it would have to be the unbleached one…
My family prefers the crispier version, hence I bake it a little longer. This batch was made for my dearest Mom who was visting us after ages… Enjoy!
1 cup and 2 tbsp Refined flour or Maida
1/2 tsp Baking soda
Salt (skip it if using salted butter)
1/2 cup Unsalted butter softened to room temperature
1/4 cup Granulated sugar
1/4 cup Light brown sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
2 tbsp Milk
1/2 cup Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven at 350 degree F or 180 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or just grease it.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients i.e. Refined flour, salt and baking soda. Mix it well and keep it aside.
- Take softened butter in another bowl. Whisk it well till it becomes creamy and smooth. Alternatively, you can also microwave the butter. But in this case the cookies will spread out more…
- Then add granulated and brown sugar. Whisk for couple of minutes.
- Then add vanilla extract and milk. Whisk till it gets well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold the chocolate chips gently into this mixture.
- Make small round balls of this mixture and flatten it lightly. Place them on the cookie sheet few inches apart as they will spread while baking.
- Bake at 350 F or 180 C for 15 minutes in a preheated oven.
- Let it cool on the sheet for 5 minutes and then remove it to the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once it cools, transfer it to an airtight container. You can enjoy these cookies with a hot cup of milk.