Its been a long time since I baked a bread. Since yesterday was relatively an easy day in terms of workload, decided to bake a bread. But didn’t want to make a simple white sandwich bread. Hence checked my pantry and decided to add the ingredients that I had handy. So just added coriander mint chutney, grated cheese and chopped garlic. The outcome was a delicious, fresly baked soft loaf of bread….packed it in my sons tiffin as a sandwich by just adding slices of tomato and cucumber in it. Hubby and I, had it stand alone as it was delcious, with the flavour of garlic, cheese and coriander mint chutney making for a wonderful combination.
One can even add fresh parsley or basil or dried mix herbs in place of coriander mint chutney. Even a spinach puree and cheese would be a good option. I am confident they would be as delicious, so here goes the recipe…
31/4 cup all purpose flour or maida
11/2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup and 2 tbsp Water
11/2 tbsp Sugar
1/2 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Oil
4 tbsp Coriander Mint Chutney ( should be thick and not thin)
2 cups grated cheese
20 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 – 3/4 tbsp Coarsely crushed black pepper
- In a microwave safe bowl, take water and stir in the sugar. Microwave it till luke warm, approx 30-40 seconds
- Stir in yeast and leave in a warm place, like a closed microwave for 10 minutes to activate the yeast. The mixture should froth.
- In a bowl, take all purpose flour, salt and oil. Mix well.
- Add the frothed yeast mixture and mix. It will be a sticky mass. Do not add any more flour.
- Transfer to the counter dusted with flour.
- Keep on kneading till the sticky mass turns into a smooth dough.
- Check for window pane. Take a small portion of the dough and keep on stretching till it forms a thin film with out breaking. It should be thin enough so that light can pass through it.
- Once window pane has been achieved, coat the dough with oil.
- Oil a bowl and place the dough in it and place the bowl in a warm place for 11/2 hrs or till it has doubled.
- Now transfer the dough back to a dusted counter and press it to form a rectangle, the length would be the length of your loaf pan
- Spread the coriander mint chutney, cover with grated cheese, top with chopped garlic and crushed black pepper.
- Roll the dough lengthwise. Pinch the dough for each roll until you finish rolling it.
- Pinch the ends and place the roll seam side down in a greased loaf pan.
- Set it aside for 45 mnts- 1 hr or until the dough has doubled.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 210 C.
- Bake the bread for 30-35 minutes in oven.
- If the top seems to be browning, then place an aluminium foil on top of it to slow the browning, but I never felt the need for this.
- Once the bread sounds hollow to tap, remove it from oven and let it rest for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Turn the pan upside down to release the bread and allow it to cool further
- Slice it with a long serrated knife.
- Serve as is or make a sandwich out of it.