Thalipeeth is a traditional Maharashtrian breakfast recipe which is not only yummy, but also healthy. We love thalipeeth in all its forms, be it bhajani thalipeeth, upvas thalipeeth or the suran sprouts thalipeeth.Upvas thalipeeth is a fasting recipe, but its so yummy, that it is regularly made in our house for breakfast, fasting or not 🙂
I usually stock the store bought thalipeeth mix. I prefer the Kpra or the Bedekar brand, but Bhagirathi is also a brand available in Mumbai. Upvas thalipeeth mix is made of the bhajani (roasted flour) of rajgira, vari and sago with cumin seeds. This recipe is bland, and can also be had as comfort food.
1 packet Upvas thalipeeth mix
1 medium sized green chilly (can be adjusted to individual taste, we prefer non spicy)
2 boiled and mashed potatoes
Salt to taste
2 tbsp curd
1/2 cup roasted peanut powder
Warm water for kneading
Ghee or oil while roasting
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except water and ghee and mix well.
- Then add warm water, bit by bit, and knead into a dough.
- Set it aside for 1/2 an hour. When I am short of time, I skip this step.
- Make 6 equal balls of the dough.
- Heat a pan and drizzle some ghee or oil. Take one ball, place it on the pan and lightly start pressing it to flatten it and make a flat disc out of it ( the thickness can be adjusted to individual taste, we prefer it as thin as possible). While patting it directly on the stove top, ensure the flame is at its minimum. If your fingers stick to the dough while pressing, grease it with ghee or oil.
- Once the disc is formed, keep the flame on medium. Cover it and allow it to cook for few minutes till the lower side becomes red.
- Then flip sides, drizzle some ghee if required and cook till the other side also becomes red. No need to cover it the second time round.
- Once done, get it off the flame and serve hot.
Tip: If one is not comfortable pressing it on a hot pan, one can take a plastic sheet ( the wrapper of the mix will also work well), grease it with oil, flatten the dough on it and then gently remove it from the sheet and place it on the hot tava. For step wise pictures check cabbage thalipeeth