Usually when I plan on making mix vegetables, I by default end up making Pav Bhaji. Apart from being delicious, it is also healthy if one limits the amount of butter. But while relishing the bhaji, there is always a guilt of consuming store bought pavs which are not good for health. However unhealthy, we just can’t seem to prepare ourselves to have the bhaji with Chapatis ( my mil used to, and I was always impressed by her determination for eating healthy). To make whole wheat pav at home is an option, but when the menu is pav bhaji, we need to have atleast 5 ladis of pav, if not more, and I cannot imagine myself kneading 5 ladis of pav 🙂 I dont think I would be left with any energy to make the bhaji then😒
So to get rid of my guilt, I decided to make veg kolhapuri instead of Pav bhaji. It turned out to be super yummy, besides being healthy due to an assortment of veggies inside, with little fat and absolutely no pavs 🙂 Relished it with home made chapatis sans any guilt. I used a store bought Kolhapuri masala instead of making one at home. Will post the authentic home made masala recipe some other day.
500 gm cauliflower florets ( rinsed well, I have the habit of soaking most leafy veggies and cauliflower in salt water for removing worms, if any)
150 gm carrots chopped
150 gms beans chopped
2 potatoes chopped
2 cups green peas
2 chopped onions
3 chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
Kolhapuri masala ( as per taste, as its very spicy, I used Kpra brand)
Coriander leaves chopped
- In a pan, heat oil. Once hot add fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds. Once they crackle add chopped onions.
- When the onions turn translucent, add tomatoes. Once tomatoes are mushy, add all the vegetables and let it cook for few minutes.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, salt and the kolhapuri masala. Mix well.
- Add 2-3 cus of water as per the desired consistency. Allow it to boil.
- Once done, switch off the flame and garnish with fresh corainder leaves.
- Serve hot with any Indian bread like Chapatis, Rotis, Paranthas, Bhakri. It also tastes yummy with Pav 😜