This recipe was a special request from hubby, who had apparently liked one chicken recipe which I had made few years back which I have no memory of… I just tossed in some spices and cashew nut paste and the gravy was ready. It was apparently very yummy; since I am a vegetarian, I go by what they say 🙂 As my family does not like spicy food, I have gone easy on the spices, but that can be changed as per individual taste.
1 kg chicken
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
3-4 tbsp curd
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tbsp red chilly powder
1 tbsp coriander powder
1 tbsp cumin seed powder
2 bay leaves
1 tsp shah jeera
1 cinnamon stuck
2-3 black peppercorns
1 black cardamom
2 star anise
2 green chillies slit
10 curry leaves
1 tsp chilly powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1/2 tbsp garam masala powder
Water as per the consistency required
4 onions ground into paste
4 tomatoes ground into paste
1 cup cashewnut soaked in warm milk for 15 mnts and ground into paste
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients listed in the marination section for 30 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil. Once the oil is heated, add the whole spices-bay leaves, shah jeera, cloves, cinnamon, black cardamom, starnise, black peppercorn, green chillies, curry leaves.
- Saute for few seconds and then add onion paste. Once the paste has changed colour, add tomato paste. Once it gets cooked, add the marinated chicken and allow it to cook till half done.
- Add all the ground spices, mix well and cook it further.
- Once the chicken is almost done, add salt and the cashew nut paste. Mix well
- Add water as the mixture will be very thick.
- Once ready, switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves
- Serve hot with roti or chapati.