A very dear friend was visiting after a long time, and I wanted to make something special for her. So the menu was Misal Pav, Aloo Gobi Adraki and a dessert. While I was contemplating making my famous eggless chocolate brownie, I came across an interesting tea time dessert from ruchiskitchen…. It had good reviews, hence decided to try it. Boy, was it yummy! It turned out to be a sinful, heavenly dessert choice….all were unanimous in their decision of choosing this dessert over the chocolate brownie, and their expressions made my day 😌
We had this cake standalone, but it can also be teamed up with vanilla icecream. It makes a good tea time cake. The chopped wanut and the brown sugar topping, gives a good texture and adds to the flavour of the cake- supermoist and totally addictive!
11/2 cup All purpose flour
21/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Salt ( Skip salt, if using salted butter)
3/4 cup ground Sugar
1/2 cup Softened or Room Temp Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Sour Cream (Refer Notes)
1/2 cup Curd (or 1 egg)
1/2 cup Milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
For Crumble Topping
1/2 cup granulated Brown sugar
3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 tbsp All purpose flour
1 tsp Cinnamon powder
5 tbsp Chopped Walnuts
- In a bowl take room temp butter. Add brown sugar, flour, Cinnamon, Chopped Walnuts
- Mix well till evenly bleanded. The topping looks crumbly. Set it aside.
- In a bowl sift flour, baking powder and salt and keep it ready.
- Preheat oven @ 180 degree C.
- In a bowl whisk butter and sugar till well blended. Add sour cream, curd, vanilla extract and blend evenly.
- Add flour and mix well. Finally add milk and whisk it well.
- Batter will be of thick dropping consistency.
- Grease a cake pan and coat it lightly with flour. Pour batter in the pan. Lightly tap the pan to release all the trapped air in the batter.
- Sprinkle walnut crumble on top. Cover it evenly. Spread the topping in a single layer and make sure the crumble pieces are small or else it will make the crumble sink into the cake.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Insert a toothpick at the centre. If it comes out clean, it is done.
- Sinful dessert is ready to be enjoyed, any time of the day!
Sour Cream – To a cup of heavy or whipping cream add a tsp of fresh lemon juice. Whisk vigorously until the cream is thickened. Sour Cream is ready.